Curious Cases

Every day we never know what is going to come through the door.  Some of our patients have been very sick indeed and others a mystery that needed to be solved as quickly as possible.
Here are a couple of cases that you may find interesting.




Benjy is a golden Cocker Spaniel who came into the practice as an emergency because his owner had found him collapsed half way up the stairs at home.  He could barely lift his head when he arrived, his blood pressure was very low and his gums were worryingly pale.  He was admitted to have intravenous fluids and further diagnostic tests.  While he was having an ultrasound, it was discovered that he had a large mass on his spleen and lots of free fluid in his abdomen.  Once he was stable enough, he needed to have surgery to remove his spleen.  On entry into his abdomen, vast quantities of free blood was found, this was removed using large swabs to absorb it.  His spleen had nearly split into two and was carefully removed by the vets and then his abdomen was closed up.  The main concern was the huge amount of blood he had lost.  He was kept in over night with constant monitoring from our nurses.

Luckily he was well enough to go home the next day.  Progress was slow as his bone marrow had a lot of work to do regarding making more red blood cells.  A week later, he was back to his normal happy self and his mucous membrane colour was almost normal.



Oreo is a 1yr old mini lop rabbit who came to the practice because he was acting out of character and had not eaten for 3 hours.  When the vet examined him, he had a very bloated stomach and the rest of his intestinal tract was ominously silent, which can be a sign that he was going into gut stasis.  This is a very serious condition and he was admitted as a rabbit emergency for X-rays, fluid therapy and pain medication.

The next day he had made little improvement, another X-ray was taken, which showed an increase in gas within his small intestine from the night before.  It was at this time it was decided that an operation was needed to see if he had a blockage in his intestines.  This operation has risks, even with healthy rabbits, but there was no alternative and his owner wanted to give him a chance.

During the operation, the vets examined his entire gastro-intestinal tract and were unable to find an obvious blockage.  His stomach was still very bloated, it was decided to make an incision into it and empty it.  Over 40mls of fluid was removed and a lot of matted hair and food.  The incision was then carefully closed up and his whole abdomen was flushed with warm sterile saline water.  His abdomen was then closed and the whole team watched to see if he would recover.

To our delight, he was eating dandelion leaves 3 hours after his surgery!  He continued to do well and we are happy to say that he went home 2 days later and has been fit and well ever since.